If you need to obtain a traffic accident report, call your local police agency or the KSP and get the “local code or the officer’s badge number”. Get the KSP post number when you call them.
Go to www.kyonlinereports.com.
Enter the name of the driver, the date of the accident, the local code or the officer’s badge number, and then you can purchase a copy of the accident report for $10 online.
It will take about ten minutes after you submit your purchase for the report to be e-mailed to you.
We tried it and it worked fine.
How to Obtain a Traffic Accident Report:
To obtain a copy of a traffic collision report a person needs to contact the Investigating Agency. Each agency has a different dissemination procedure.
The Kentucky State Police procedure for requesting a copy of a collision report is as follows:
An authorized person may obtain a copy of a collision report, in person or by written mailed request, from the Kentucky State Police Post that worked the collision. Written requests made to the Kentucky State Police must include a self addressed/stamped envelope.
The cost of a copy of a paper collision report is $5.00 per report. Payments submitted to the Kentucky State Police must be by check or money order made payable to the Kentucky State Treasurer. Payment for a requested collision report must be received by the Kentucky State Police before a copy of the report will be disseminated.
Persons authorized to receive copies of a Collision Report per KRS. 189.635 include:
1. Parties to the accident;
2. Parents or guardians of a minor who is a party to the accident;
3. Insurers or their written designee for insurance business purposes of any party who is the subject of the report;
4. Attorneys of the parties
5. Media / For More Information Contact:
Lt. David Jude
Media Relations Branch
7. Online Vehicle Crash Reports Provide Convenience
8. Date of News Release: 02/11/2010
9. (Frankfort, Ky.) — As a convenience to motorists, Kentucky Uniform Police Traffic Collision Reports for vehicle crashes throughout the state are available for purchase online. The cost is $10 per report and requests can be made through the Kentucky State Police web site at www.kentuckystatepolice.org
or by visiting www.kyonlinereports.com
10. The reports are available on the sites within seven to 10 working days from the date of the collision.
11. To download the report, motorists need to enter their last name, the date of the collision, the local code or the investigating officer’s badge number and the name of the investigating agency, which is available on a scroll down menu.
12. Payment can be made by VISA, MasterCard, American Express, Discovery Card or PayPal.
13. Per KRS 189.635, crash reports are only available to a party of the accident, the parent or guardian of a minor who is party to the accident, insurers of any party who is subject to the report or an attorney of the parties involved.
17. Kentucky State Police Headquarters
919 Versailles Road
Frankfort, KY 40601